Have a Vizio VUR10 remote that has suddenly stopped working? Me too, and by the looks of my traffic numbers, so do a few (several thousand) others…
After talking with Vizio technical support, I found out your options:
1. Buy a new VUR10 for ~$70 on Amazon. (No way I’m doing this. It’ll probably break again considering the poor component choice and how many people seem to have this issue.)
2. Replace the remote with the non-bluetooth but otherwise compatible XRV1TV remote from Vizio. This costs about ~$20 + shipping on Amazon which I decided to try and sort of regret it. It works fine with the TV, but it is not a universal remote and therefore I still have to use the remotes for all my other devices too. I didn’t realize that when I bought it, so consider this when replacing the VUR10 with this one.
3. Repair it, which will cost you about $5 for the part plus $6 for shipping cause Mouser sends it in a ridiculously oversized box.
If you decide to go with option #3, here are some pictures that may help you.
After my remote stopped working I decided to take it apart figuring it was the ribbon cable. To open this remote, you need to slide a small flathead screwdriver or other flat stiff object (guitar pick) around the edge of both the underside of the top of the remote, as well as around the keyboard inside. You will see a small plastic lip that you can work the object around until it loosens up and pops out. Be careful not to mar the plastic too much.
Once open, you will likely see a broken ribbon cable as pictured.
To remove the broken piece, you’ll need to remove the tape holding the ends into the connectors and then pull on the brown piece of plastic which will slide back and allow you to remove the ribbon, leaving you with this.
After this, you’ll need to get a replacement ribbon and just reverse everything you’ve done to this point. The piece that replaces it can be found here:
It’s a 2 inch, 10 conductor, .50mm pitch flat flex ribbon cable – Molex part number 21020-0097. Grab one, plug it back in and reassemble and voila! Working remote for $11!
Important note: Once I reassembled my remote, the Bluetooth functions still did not work because the remote had lost the pairing with the TV. Cover the front of the remote with your hand and try to use it, if it still works, your Bluetooth is fine, if not, you will need to redo the Bluetooth pairing process by holding the red record button and the “green bar” button simultaneously for 5 seconds.